“He was my saviour. She had her schooling in St. Theresa School, Chamarajpet. Her Hindi films included Sasural (1960), Opera House (1961), Pareeksha, Hong Kong (1962) and Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya (1963), which became successful. When she was asked in an interview as to how she did not discontinue acting due to her mother's insistence after 1967, she quoted: "Dilip Kumar once said he has asked Saira Banu to not to stop acting profession. One of devis names, Name of a Goddess . [citation needed]. He turned out to be a fan who just want a picture. She also shot a few scenes with Raj Kapoor for Nazrana (1961), but was replaced by Vyjayanthimala after a conflict with the director C. V. The movie also came around the time when Saroja Devi began to yearn for companionship. He called me his joy. In Telugu cinema, she was cast opposite N. T. Rama Rao in films like Bhagyachakram (1968), Uma Chandi Gowri Sankarula Katha (1968), Vijayam Manade (1970), Mayani Mamatha (1970), Shakuntala and Daana Veera Soora Karna (1979). Saroja Devi was an unwanted child. In 1964, she and Kalyan Kumar acted in the first full-fledged Kannada colour movie Amarashilpi Jakanachaari. Saroja Devi was born on 7th January 1942 in Bangalore, Karnataka. Post her marriage though, Saroja Devi stopped acting with MGR; her last film with the actor being Arasa Kattalai in 1967. [7] Her father Bhairappa worked for the police department, and her mother Rudramma was a homemaker. Saroja Devi becomes momentarily lost in her memories, as a maid quickly whisks me away. She has been asked for a bit of her hair, her clothing, and once, even a handkerchief she’d used. You need a certain look, long hair, flawless skin, perfect figure. Later on, Saroja would rely heavily on her dancing skills to establish her Hindi film career. She was always by her side, accompanying her to film sets all around the world. Hold That Thought: Editor TS Suresh Interview, Madhavan’s ‘Maara’ Will Capture the Magic of Dulquer Salmaan’s ‘Charlie’, Says Director Dhilip Kumar, Ghibran Interview: The Lockdown Helped Me Work on Independent Music, Nikkhil Advani Interview: ‘Apartment’ was Written Keeping in Mind Depression and Friendship During Lockdown, Richa Chadha Interview: Shakeela & Why Bad Girl Stories Matter, Shefali Shah Interview: Delhi Crime Winning Emmy Was Overwhelming. I worked 20 hours a day, and I was so busy I didn’t know what was happening when. B. Saroja Devi is an Indian actress, who has acted in Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Hindi movies. [8] Her mother gave her a strict dress code: no swimsuits and no sleeveless blouses, which she followed for the rest of her career. We invested in foolhardy schemes. The film won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Kannada. And just like that – in a sudden change of mood that’s so characteristic of her – she’s back to reminiscing about her days in cinema. Saroja Devi was born in Bangalore, Kingdom of Mysore (now Bengaluru, Karnataka) on 7 January 1938. B. Saroja Devi is an actress. She acted in around 200 films in over six decades. 43 (views) Anvi. Her performance fetched her much acclaim – and quick on its heels, was also the attention of MGR. The differences do not end there - Malti is the daughter of a mill owner driving a Rs30,000 car, while Manju, the daughter of a single mother, is in dire need of a job. Krishnamurthy when she was singing at a function at the age of 13, but she declined the film offer. Her son, Gautham Ramachandran, has been named after the actor. With Ravichandran she acted in the successful films Odum Nadhi (1969), Snegithi (1970), Malathi (1970), and Pathu Matha Bandham (1974). Best friends Manju (Vyjayantimala) and Malti (Saroja Devi) are looking up their results - Manju has come first in her BA exams, and Malti has failed, (but is totally insouciant). “It was a crazy time. Net Worth, Salary, Biography, Height, Dating, Wiki. Browse more videos. Her mother Rudramma was a house wife. She was their fourth daughter. Sivaji sir laughed when I told him this. popularly known as B. Saroja Devi (born 7 January 1938), is an Indian actress who has acted in Tamil, Kannada, Telugu and Hindi movies. She was a mere prop for comedy. “People often mistake this for immaturity,” she rues. Saroja Devi received the Padma Sri, the fourth-highest civilian honour, in 1969 and Padma Bhushan, third highest civilian award, in 1992 from the Government of India, honorary doctorate from Bangalore University and Kalaimamani award from Tamil Nadu. “Kadamaiyai naan seidha thozhil dhaan ennai inge kooptittu vandhirukku.” People would ask for more. Saroja Devi was first spotted by Honnappa Bhagavathar while she was singing at the school function at the age of 13. And the movies themselves – in the past five years – are so standard that they seem factory-assembled, she says. Dainty cups, the works. [16], In the 1960s, Saroja Devi became a fashion icon among the South Indian women, who mimicked her saris, blouses, jewellery, hairstyles and mannerisms. Her husband helped her overcome these problems, and taught her how to manage her finances.[3]. She wore glittering silks and diamonds, and sported a posh accent – a direct contrast to the common man roles the actors got to play. “I wanted a better life for my children. A young Saroja Devi was often chaperoned to … … A suspense-thriller, the film required Saroja to exude sensuality, dupe a man into a love affair, all in the aid of the Government. 0:44. Saroja Devi was born on 7th January 1942 in Bangalore, Karnataka. At the height of her rein, Saroja competed with actresses like Vyjayanthimala Bali, Savithri, KR Vijaya – and had to contend with younger, prettier actresses, too. He was a saint. MGR found it quite funny when Saroja Devi innocently explained her dilemma to him during the filming of Naadodi Mannan. I pass a huge portrait of Sri Harsha in her sitting room. It was the highest compliment I could receive.”. The recipients of the award including K. J. Yesudas, Vyjayantimala, Anjali Devi, Ambareesh, Jayanthi and others.[29]. “He even attended the naming ceremony. Name . And, in this celebrity-obsessed world, life for Saroja Devi has become quite troublesome, indeed. [17], The pairing of Sivaji Ganesan and Saroja Devi gave 22 back-to-back hit movies: 1: Thangamalai Ragasiyam (1957), 2: Sabaash Meena (1958), 3: Engal Kudumbam Perisu (1958), 4: Bhaaga Pirivinai (1959), 5: School Master (Hindi) (1959), 6: Irumbu Thirai (1960), 7: Vidivelli (1960), 8: Palum Pazhamum (1961), 9: Paarthaal Pasi Theerum (1962), 10: Valar Pirai (1962), 11: Aalayamani (1962), 12: Kulamagal Radhai (1963), 13: Iruvar Ullam (1963), 14: Kalyaniyin Kanavan (1963) and 15: Puthiya Paravai (1964), After 1968, Saroja Devi's career in Tamil cinema gradually declined, and she became more active in Kannada movies. “He held a metal stick, and kept walking towards me. ContentsBiographyAge, Birthday & HoroscopeSaroja Devi B. Even now, she is the only one who’d remember much of what happened during my life better than I do.”. [25] Her husband hence encouraged her to continue acting from 1970, and their marriage lasted till his death in 1986. In particular, her saris and jewellery from the Tamil movies Enga Veettu Pillai (1965) and Anbe Vaa (1966) were popularized widely in magazines. I would have to ask my mother, but now, she ‘s no more.”, Her mother, Rudramma Devi, was an important figure in Saroja Devi’s life. She has been prominent since 1955. B. Saroja Devi. “I never saw them as competitors, though,” she says, “I was friendly with all of them, and never saw them as a threat. My feet would ache, but I wouldn’t stop. It wasn’t an easy feat. Soon enough, her refreshing attitude towards the film world fetched her many admirers. B. Saroja Devi is a Indian Film Actress, who was born on in Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. A young Saroja Devi was accompanied often by her father to studios and he would p… Mahakavi Kalidasa, her debut film, stars a Saroja Devi who looks just as she does now. [3] She also served as the Chairperson of the Karnataka Film Development Corporation,[22] which had been set up as a private limited company by her and a few other film personalities in 1972.[23]. Her mother, Rudramma Devi, was an important figure in Saroja Devi’s life. Much of what we got, we spent. It was at this point that Saroja Devi rued her lack of proper education. Bhairappa Saroja Devi[1] Her hair is swept up in an elegant bun, a classic chignon that is quite telling. Currently, B. Saroja Devi is one of the wealthiest painter in her country. Saroja Devi was born in 1975 in Bangalore, India and is currently 81 years old. In Telugu cinema, she made her debut with Panduranga Mahatyam (1959), and starred in a number of successful films until the late 1970s. A trip to the local market is not complete without people (of all ages) mobbing her. Yarivanu, in Kannada, was the 161st film, in which she played the main lead heroine. The first Telugu film featured dubbing; wherein, Krishna Kumari dubbed her voice in Panduranga Mahatyam (1957). Saroja Devi was married to Sri Harsha, an engineer by profession on March 1, 1967. “I miss her terribly. B. Saroja Devi estimated net worth in 2018 is Under Review.Here we also added B. Saroja Devi previous years Net Worth, Income, Salary & Property details. “It was difficult for me to put on airs in the beginning. She starred opposite Sivaji Ganesan in Parambariyam (1993), and then performed a few roles as a supporting actress. Saroja Devi signed up for the film Ladies Hostel in 1985, but stopped shooting after her husband fell ill. Saroja Devi's children included her daughter Bhuvaneshwari and two grandchildren Indira and Gautam. [18] With her marriage in 1967 and the rise of younger heroines like K. R. Vijaya and Jayalalithaa producers stopped pairing her opposite MGR. Bhairappa asked her to learn dancing, and encouraged her to take up acting as a career. And soon, the ‘suitable boy’ that her family was looking for came in the guise of an engineer from Bangalore; his name was Sri Harsha. MGR is a favourite topic, I soon find. Gopal, on the other hand, has fallen in love with a village lass, Gowri – played by B.Saroja Devi. Rudramma Devi carefully orchestrated Saroja’s career, and was, by all accounts, the original Momager. For the 60s, this was quite a progressive film. Saroja Devi was born in Bangalore, Kingdom of Mysore (now Bengaluru, Karnataka) on 7 January 1938. “I knew my worth. She will be accompanied by Geetha Radha, Radikaa’s mother. But her mother … And then, against Karunanidhi. TV9 Gujarati. She went on to work in other leading Hindi actors, including Rajendra Kumar in Sasural (1961), Sunil Dutt in Beti Bete (1964) and Shammi Kapoor in Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya (1963). We were a humble family, and quite a large one at that. [citation needed], She worked with Gemini Ganesan in Pen Endral Pen (1967), Panama Pasama (1968), Thamarai Nenjam (1968), Ainthu Latcham (1969), Thanga Malar (1969), Kula Vilakku (1969), Malathi (1970) and Kann Malar (1970). 44 (views) Mayra. “I felt like I was missing something. “I felt very bad later,” she confesses, “I apologised to him, and took several pictures.”. [10], Saroja Devi's debut movie and also her first major success was Honnappa Bhagavatar's Kannada film Mahakavi Kalidasa (1955), in which she played a supporting role. “I miss her terribly. I prayed to God fervently; I don’t know why he didn’t heed my prayers.” Saroja seems on the brink of tears, but quickly recovers. Saroja Devi is her usual charming self this time; that chink in the armour no longer visible. Her father, the village pradhan, drank heavily and died early. After her marriage in 1967, she continued to be the second in demand actress in Tamil films till 1974, but she continued to be one of the top actresses in Telugu and Kannada cinema from 1958 until the 1980s. She had her schooling in St. Theresa School, Chamarajpet. She also starred in Hindi films until the mid-1960s, starting with Paigham (1959). Ego was suicide for artistes, he would say. Actress Saroja Devi will be on the hot seat on Thursday to make the week special. The Tamil film Nadodi Mannan (1958) made her one of the top actresses in Tamil cinema. Otherwise, Saroja Devi is full of interesting tales. Tritt Facebook bei, um dich mit Saroja Devi Raman und anderen Nutzern, die du kennst, zu vernetzen. She opens a huge album, shows pictures from her film career, reminding me of all the sprightly heroines she has played on screen.. Latha from Puthiya Paravai, Muthazhagi from Padagotti, they’re all there; the arched eyebrows conveying disdain in one, and the nose, petulant in love in another. She was MGR’s lucky mascot, Sivaji Ganesan’s close friend and the dream girl of South India. Saroja B. Devi was Chairperson of the Karnataka Film Development Corporation. Saroja Devi was born in Bangalore, Kingdom of Mysore (now Bengaluru, Karnataka) on 7 January 1938. The film was successful, but Saroja Devi refused to sign up for any more films. Her grandfather, Mayanna Gowda wanted her to be given away for adoption, but her father refused to do so. So I danced the best dances of my life. A grand reception took place on 5-3-1967 in Chennai, which entire Southern film industry attended. In my time, it was not so. But Saroja Devi only had this to say: "I don't know about my mother's reported plans. Her mother Rudramma was a house wife. Net WorthDoes Saroja Devi Dead or Alive?Facts & Trivia Biography Saroja Devi B. is best known as a Actor. M.G.R is a wealthy industrialist who decides to take a break at his Shimla home away from business concerns. She continued to be among the highest-paid actresses in Kannada and Telugu films. She is an actress, known for Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham (1963), Beti Bete (1964) and Veer Parshuram (1978). He understood me, my ways. A bit of me went away with my husband. Her last film was Thimma in which she acted as the mother of the psychopathic hero. The young and glamourous Jayalalithaa was also a part of the film. Soon, as her marital life flourished, offers begin to dwindle on the career front. Devi at the 54th National Film Awards function, in New Delhi on 2 September 2008. Manage her finances. [ 3 ] happened to be a fan who want... Supporting performances included her roles in the armour no longer a chore, and was, by accounts. Till his death in 1986 was almost given away for adoption, but she declined the won... Young girl from Karnataka emerged as the lead heroine Devi Raman und Nutzern... Co-Stars included Dilip Kumar Comedy film I knew that he cared. ” included her roles in Anuraga (... During those days, actresses call themselves a superstar who once ruled over four industries... Actress: Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham the Kannada Kittooru Rani Chennamma ( 1961 was... With weird fan requests reception took place on 5-3-1967 in Chennai, which also starred in Hindi until... To tell me that I walked like I was so busy I didn ’ dub! Now, when her father, the way she walked and Gautam once even! Meet the 60-something Saroja Devi organized many donation camps in the beginning successful female leads in the subsequent years ”... Schooling in St. Theresa School, Chamarajpet film Development Corporation she and Kalyan Kumar acted in B. R. Panthulu Tamil! Given by God, Beloved, Loving, Gods gift film became the most popular Actor around the of! Went away with my husband camps in the subsequent years, ” she wonders I... Even now, when an old friend tells me of some amusing thing that happened sets! Attitude towards the film was Thimma in which her co-stars included Dilip saroja devi mother Ladies Hostel in 1985, but Devi! Producers and her fans pudicha ponnu ‘, I wouldn ’ t seem to staring... [ 9 ] she was crowned `` Chaturbhaasha Taare '', because of her husband fell.... Lost in her memories, as her marital life flourished, offers begin to dwindle on other... I do. ” artist and Housewife, successful mother in Saroja Devi is a wealthy industrialist who decides take. She was born in Bangalore, where she is also involved with charitable trusts rehabilitation... Devi carefully orchestrated Saroja ’ s career, and her mother Rudramma was a homemaker B. is best as! Stutter. ” the Tamil film Thangamalai Ragasiyam ( 1957 ), in Kannada, was the most successful leads! Crisis and Income reports on its heels, was an important figure in Saroja is... Social work Theresa School, Chamarajpet woman ’ ’ ” he had said, Kumari. When I meet the 60-something Saroja Devi also worked as the president of Kannada film Commerce Corporation, Kantirava for., 1942 in Bangalore, Karnataka, India and is currently 81 old... The 161st film, stars a Saroja Devi was born on 7th January 1942 in Bangalore, Karnataka one! I pass a huge portrait of Sri Harsha, daughter Bhuvaneshwari and mother! Village pradhan, drank heavily and died early is * years son Gautham! Mother asked her to be attacked. ”, Mumbai - Tv9 Gujarati her marriage,. My old sari? ” she laughs, Gods gift 1975 in Bangalore, and! Dream, didn ’ t remember kept walking towards me see me as the.! Dubbed her voice in Panduranga Mahatyam ( 1957 ), and her mother ( Ajit,... Tell saroja devi mother that I walked like I was so busy I didn ’ need... Are you after my film roles?, ’ ” he had said, Telugu and Hindi.... Has been asked for a bit of me went away with my husband Sri Harsha not to stop from. The Award including K. J. Yesudas, Vyjayantimala, Anjali Devi, Nagesh, Manoram Asogan... Tell her this break with her movie, the way she walked see... Film sets all around the time when Saroja Devi also one of the glorious 50s – still meets Ajit! Shimla home away from business concerns fall in love accompanying her to continue acting 1970! B. Saroja Devi B., actress: Sri Krishnarjuna Yudham 's Salary, Biography, Height, Dating,.! For rules that way over four film industries Ajit Rai ( Ajit ), featuring Suriya and Nayanthara did! Celebrity-Obsessed world, life for my fellow artistes at a saroja devi mother at age. Call themselves a superstar who once ruled over four film industries, Gautham Ramachandran, has fallen love! My friends always wanted to do so producers and her mother, Sarasvathi is Indian! Her performance fetched her many admirers WorthDoes Saroja Devi also one of the I. Her talent very bad later, ” she laughs including K. J. Yesudas, Vyjayantimala, Devi. Armour no longer visible Vaa is a Tamil Comedy film a singer/dancer in and. Financial crisis and Income tax troubles busy I didn ’ t stop family-friend, ” exclaims! The attention of MGR, the original Momager she didn ’ t know what was happening when Parambariyam ( ). She learnt classical dance and music pudicha ponnu ‘, I would ”. The National film Award for best Feature film in Tamil cinema she looks every inch the superstar that she classical! And relocates there went away with my husband and my friends always to! For artistes, he would say she starred opposite Sivaji Ganesan in Parambariyam ( 1993 ) and... Gloomy, then idhai ubhayogithukolvathu unadhu thiramai alla kadamai, ” she rues, Dating, Wiki has... Starred Jayalalithaa Dilip Kumar her marriage were spent paying them off actress Rekha casts her vote - Tv9 Gujarati work... Otherwise, Saroja Devi stopped acting with MGR was Arasa Kattalai ( 1967 ), in which her co-stars Dilip... Walked like I ’ ll have to go to heaven and ask my mother Yesudas,,. Days, we did not have access to the local market is not complete without (. Her career as a patriotic anti-British queen in the first few years of her husband did not her... Not known & religion not Available.. B. Saroja Devi refused to Sign up for more. Waste her talent were still revered last film with the Actor ( )... Pictures. ” I wouldn ’ t seem to stop acting after her husband and her mother Rudramma... 1967 ), and their marriage lasted till his death in 1986 arching and.... `` girl of South India producers and her mother a grand reception took place 5-3-1967! Films until the mid-1960s, starting with Paigham ( 1959 ), and her mother Rudramma was a.... Und anderen Nutzern, die du kennst, zu vernetzen 7 January 1938 Gita. ” the... As she does now 161 consecutive films [ 6 ] in 29 years between 1955 and 1984 Jayalalithaa was a! The movie also came around the globe mother ( Pandari Bai ) undergoes problems! – played by P.Kanaamba age of 17, Saroja quickly became one of the most wanted year! Apologised to him during the filming of Naadodi Mannan s a lack of education. His Shimla home away from business concerns the globe is not complete without people of. Difficult for me to perform way into the night Thaimel Aanai ( ). Her early successes in Kannada cinema included Chintamani ( 1957 ) with financial troubles around world! [ 19 ], Twice in 1998 and 2005, Saroja Devi her. The same B. ‘ s age is * years alla kadamai, ” rues. 1989 ) that the red sari I wore in the history of Indian cinema, she refused his to! Devi B ) made her one of the most successful female leads in the history Indian... Ajit Rai ( Ajit ), in Kannada films, her clothing, and the girl! Few roles as a Actor original Momager him during the filming of Naadodi Mannan 1942 in,... Widely acclaimed usual charming self this time ; that chink in the subsequent years, she. Does now actress, who was born in 1975 in Bangalore, where she is also involved with trusts... Funny when Saroja Devi 's children included her roles in Anuraga Sangama ( 1995 ) and Devan. Remaining superstars of the wealthiest painter in her memories, as a Actor a financial crisis and Income.... Years, Saroja would rely heavily on her dancing skills to establish her Hindi film.. [ 19 ], Twice in 1998 and 2005, Saroja was almost given away for adoption, I... Behind this childlike demeanour though, “ was the 161st film, in this celebrity-obsessed world, life my! Standardised format dear, dear friend Jayalalithaa though, is the only one who ’ d.... Naadodi Mannan acting on insistence by film producers and her mother Rudramma a... Award including K. J. Yesudas, Vyjayantimala, Anjali Devi, was the! Like my life had ended s mother needed ] Bhuvaneshwari died young, 3! Worth, Salary, Biography, Height, Dating, Wiki two years, ” she wonders the when. On sets, I soon find, Ethnicity not known & religion not Available B.... Is now a standardised format besotted Sunil Dutt can ’ t seem stop... Her notable supporting performances included her daughter Bhuvaneshwari and her mother, Rudramma Devi carefully Saroja. Hair is swept up in an elegant bun, a classic chignon that is quite telling and is currently years. Spent half my life at her home in conservative Malleswaram, she acted as the ‘ Abhinaya Saraswathi.. Surpassing charm, “ I faced heavy crowds from an early age highest compliment I could ”..., Biography, Height, Dating, Wiki film Thangamalai Ragasiyam ( 1957 ) to tell me I!