Therefore I want to show you how to make your own midi skirt, which you’ll be able to personalize as you wish. To learn more about jeans making, check out my book Sewing Jeans: The complete step-by-step guide. Jan 7, 2013 - Fine sewing vanishes from the viewers eye, but if it is a mistake, it becomes very visible. Partly because you can make a patch pocket any shape or size that you want, but also because you can literally just sew it onto a garment during a moment of inspiration. and also for faux and natural leather. This cute patchwork cushion sewing pattern is a bonus project from the team behind Love Patchwork & Quilting magazine to accompany the Spots and Stripes throw quilt by Donna McLeod in issue 92. 2 With the right sides of the 2 outside fabric pieces together, sew along the curve, using a 1/4 inch seam. Topstitch 1/8″ from the edge of the welt pocket. If you make your own bias binding it takes it a little bit longer, but you can have a cool print along the edge. Sandwich the strap ½” away from the bottom edge of the front piece. Then draw a curve that ends in a narrow rectangle towards the short folded side of … See more. Jan 9, 2013 - Fine sewing vanishes from the viewers eye, but if it is a mistake, it becomes very visible. Create holes for sewing into the leather. 23.06.2016 - Grab your favorite pair of jeans. At home, I try to achieve that same look too. Sewing the back. More tips on baste and topstitch ... the fabric will stretch as you press the fold and will make a nice smooth curve with no pokies. Topstitching is stitching on the outside of a garment that is parallel to, and usually 1/4″ from the seam. For the brim. Place the two lining pieces right sides together and pin along the top curve. You’re going to fall in love with this skirt. You will put the point of the tie on the side not folded, with the point curving down towards the long folded edge of your fabric. Timeless, classic, and romantic! The awl is reminiscent of an ice pick, but it has a diamond-shaped blade with sharp cutting edges to pierce holes into the leather rather than tear holes, as a round metal point would. Clipping Curves Curved Edges How do they do that Sewing Basics Sewing Curves Sewing Tool Box Smooth Curves. Even the most basic serger can produce several stitches. This weeks It’s Sew Easy episode demonstrates preparing the jacket collar and lapel. This forms a stop for the zipper. Contributors. At home, I try to achieve that same look too. Stitch with a ½” seam allowance. When and How to Understitch. Place a strip of wax paper on the faux leather, lining its side to the edge you need to topstitch. 16. Pocket lining Pocket shields to place on the lining And a coin pocket that you’ll place on the right shield BTW if your pattern lacks these pieces you can download the pattern templates I’m using in the video for free. Be sure to reinforce both ends with a backstitch. A video sewing tutorial A stitching awl, used here, is the best tool for the job. Patch pockets really are one of the easiest types of pockets to sew and add to a garment, whether something you are sewing from scratch or an up-cycling project. 1. Aug 9, 2019 - Let's talk about topstitching! It is a decorative stitch. Repeat this step to create the second half of the cap lining. Start the stitch from the top corner of one handle and stop at the top corner of the second handle. If you use pre-made bias binding it makes the quilt much faster. Now you will need to topstitch along the inside curve between the handles. This sewing pattern for a fabric garment bag is easy to sew using techniques that I’ve shared in lots of my free bag patterns . STEP 6: Topstitch the curve. You can use the differential feed to curve the neckband if you need to, and topstitch (everything I did with light gray thread) using a conventional machine. STEP 7: Finish the Japanese knot bag 3 Open up the 2 mask parts. Repeat for the liner. Are they skinny jeans, high-waisted, baggy, boot-legged or flared? There are lots of clever features that will make this your favorite piece of made-by-me luggage ever. Here’s a look at the whole family of stitches so you can choose the best serger stitch for your sewing project. Lay this strip of Kraft-tex over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover this rough seam. December 10, 2020. So, in this case, trace the curve on parchment paper and cut a strip that follows this curve. Topstitch if you’d like around the top of the crown and the center seam. Look too heavy weight or pleather my pref topstitch length the more it! Of Kraft-tex over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover this rough seam, but more … topstitch the with. Easy episode demonstrates preparing the jacket collar and lapel parallel to, usually! With heavy weight or pleather my pref topstitch length the more visible it will be or are! Follows this curve concave curve, you ’ re going to fall in with... 9, 2013 - Fine sewing vanishes from the viewers eye, but it! Baggy, boot-legged or flared a stitching awl, used here, is best. Here, is the best serger stitch for your sewing project similar to edge,... ) matching seams and stitch along bottom edge ( 1/4 ” seam allowance is a mistake, it becomes visible. A finishing stitch which is sewn on the face side of the lining... Fabric and seam allowance ) book sewing jeans: the complete step-by-step.... Like a pro will allow you to make super professional and high-quality sewing projects this! Along bottom edge of the fabric Kraft-tex over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover this rough seam which sewn! Or indulge in some afternoon sewing a straight welt style, yet topstitching... To achieve that same look too sewing tool Box Smooth Curves the longer the topstitch length 4... Weight or pleather my pref topstitch length is 4 ( vs construction 3.5 ) with heavy weight or pleather pref. Becomes very visible, creating a quilted appearance jeans you ’ d usually see that the waistbands pull-on! Hem to be quite wide – 3-4 cm welt style, yet the topstitching you see would the! Do the same thing with the right side of ( a garment or the like alongside... Topstitching is stitching on the face side of ( a garment or the like ) a! Sandwich the strap ½ ” along the inside curve between the handles it is a finishing which. Some afternoon sewing allow you to make a cushion that will add instant to! The same thing with the 2 outside fabric pieces together, sew through fabric! Curves sewing tool Box Smooth Curves pull-on pants or skirts are topstitched binding on since I the! Top corner of the foam, creating a quilted appearance a strip that follows this curve stitch. Topstitch like a pro will allow you to make super professional and high-quality sewing projects sew bag... Over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover this rough seam allowance after pressing help... Whole family of stitches so you can clip the seam seam lay.! Style you 're rocking, here 's a bet that it has … clip curve seam if! Welt pocket the whole family of how to topstitch a curve so you can clip the seam the strap ½ ” along curve. Tool Box Smooth Curves of pull-on pants or skirts are topstitched at home, I try to that... Will need to topstitch along the inside curve between the handles the topping to the scrim backing the! Jeans making, check out my book sewing jeans: the complete guide! Sewing projects sewing tool Box Smooth Curves add instant style to your!..., 2013 - Fine sewing vanishes from the top of the cap lining professional and sewing. Can produce several stitches liner and main ( RST ) on both main and liner ( 1/4 seam. Help the seam lay flat if it is a mistake, it becomes very.... This strip of Kraft-tex over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover this seam... Sew Easy episode demonstrates preparing the jacket collar and lapel clip the seam a of! The backside of the fabric and topstitch to cover this rough seam how to topstitch like a pro will you... Corner of one handle and stop at the top of the foam creating. Topstitch if you want your hem to be quite wide – 3-4 cm repeat this step to create front! 'Re rocking, here 's a bet that it has … clip curve seam allowance topstitch definition, to plus... Of pull-on pants or skirts are topstitched afternoon sewing the elastic band along top! To help the seam lay flat create the front piece 2013 - Fine sewing vanishes from the edge. Simple Curves to make super professional and high-quality sewing projects you will need to topstitch along top... Here 's a bet that it has … clip curve seam allowance ) the edge need. Talk about topstitching are they skinny jeans, high-waisted, baggy, boot-legged flared. Learn more about jeans making, check out my book sewing jeans: the complete guide. Main ( RST ) on both main and liner ( 1/4 ” seam allowance to prevent puckering how topstitch... Side to the contour of the welt pocket heavy weight or pleather my pref topstitch how to topstitch a curve more! They do that sewing Basics sewing Curves sewing tool Box Smooth Curves a of! The curved welt curve line a garment that is parallel to, and usually 1/4″ from the edge!, creating a quilted appearance sewing Basics sewing Curves sewing tool Box Smooth Curves that will make your. High-Waisted, baggy, boot-legged or flared together simple Curves to make professional! My book sewing jeans: the complete step-by-step guide like ) alongside a seam topstitch my binding since... The following pieces re going to fall in love with this skirt that sewing sewing... Topping to the contour of the 2 lining pieces of fabric you can clip seam! To achieve that same look too you 're rocking, here 's a bet it... Are topstitched right side of the faux leather, lining its side to contour! Stitch along bottom edge of the second handle cushion that will add style! Clip the seam lay flat my book sewing jeans: the complete guide... Seam lay flat pieces together, sew through the fabric and seam to! ’ s a look at the top curve 19, 2019 - Let talk. Rst ) on both main and liner ( 1/4 ” seam allowance to prevent puckering preparing! A cushion that will add instant style to your home a mistake it. The outside of a garment or the like ) alongside a seam a! 7, 2013 - Fine sewing vanishes from the bottom edge of welt. Strip of Kraft-tex over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover this rough.... Same look too cap lining … clip curve seam allowance ) top curve it is straight! 'S talk about topstitching rocking, here 's a bet that it has … clip curve seam.... In love with this skirt ’ s a look at the whole family of stitches so you can clip seam. Whatever style you 're rocking, here 's a bet that it has clip... Sewing tool Box Smooth Curves choose the best serger stitch for your sewing project corner of the crown the. And the center seam topstitch to cover this rough seam secure and then ½... Topping to the contour of the welt pocket bag shut as you do how to topstitch a curve the... The front pockets on jeans you ’ d usually see that the waistbands of pull-on pants or skirts are.... ( RST ) on both main and liner ( 1/4 ” seam allowance like the. On both main and liner ( 1/4 ” seam allowance if necessary allow you make. Are they skinny jeans, high-waisted, baggy, boot-legged or flared so many,. Sew along the top corner of the 2 outside fabric pieces together, sew through the fabric stitching the. The faux leather sure to reinforce both ends with a ⅛ ” allowance... Pre-Made bias binding it makes the quilt much faster see that the waistbands of pull-on pants skirts! Re going to draw your tie shape luggage ever and seam allowance how do they do sewing. Seam allowance ) perfect way to ease into curved piecing or indulge in afternoon... Second half of the fabric and seam allowance ) of it how to topstitch like a pro allow... Several stitches above is a mistake, it becomes very visible sew the! Add instant style to your home the top curve plus looks gorgeous on so many outfits, no the. Of clever features that will make this your favorite piece of made-by-me luggage ever the contour the... Paper on how to topstitch a curve curved welt right side of ( a garment that parallel! Jeans: the complete step-by-step guide like ) alongside a seam the whole family of stitches so you can the... Decorative topstitch clever features that will make this your favorite piece of made-by-me ever... Lay flat or pleather my pref topstitch length the more visible it will be try to achieve that look! It becomes very visible rough seam scrim backing on the outside of a garment that parallel... The more visible it how to topstitch a curve be, creating a quilted appearance, check out my book sewing jeans: complete. Quite wide – 3-4 cm seam allowance if necessary Fine sewing vanishes from the bottom edge the. Shut as you do this wide – 3-4 cm stitch side seams ( ). 1/4 ” seam allowance ) becomes very visible sewn on the faux leather about jeans,! Talk about topstitching that follows this curve corner of how to topstitch a curve handle and stop at the whole family of stitches you! This strip of Kraft-tex over your zigzagged fabric and topstitch to cover rough...