That is the original reason why I switched to funtoo/gentoo. Honestly, if you're cool with gentoo there's no reason to use funtoo. However, if you decide to optimise, it can and will download all source packages and start compiling allthe programs and libraries on your system. This applies to many packages, including the toolchain. Using source mirrors The mirrors listed on this page contain installation files such as LiveCDs, Gentoo ebuild repository snapshots as well as distfiles (the actual program code for our packages). Based off Gentoo Linux, Pentoo is provided both as 32 and 64 bit installable livecd. I left funtoo ~2 months after they added "kits" which were like overlays + ~arch or something. I've been messing with dracut for a while, and for some reason it stubbornly refuses to detect my raid devices. Funtoo is great but I think the point of it is being slightly more guided and convenient than gentoo. ), and the GNU C library (glibc). There are more than 19.000 packages available in the official repository. There are detailed instructions available on installing Linux Mint in a VirtualBox. What are the best source-based Linux distributions? By re-emerging the toolchain, these new default settings will apply t… First of … [–]core-kartana 13 points14 points15 points 6 months ago (0 children). What are the best Linux distributions for an old machine? There just didn't seem any advantage for me. Tell us what you’re passionate about to get your personalized feed and help others. And all it requires is two lines of string variables in a global config. What is the best Linux distro for ryzen 7? I had a few problems with hardware support that were fiddly to resolve because of the pre-built kernel, and a couple of software packages that needed Layman overlays were difficult to get running. The usage of advanced features like USE flags makes it more customizable than any binary distribution. What are the easiest Linux distributions for Windows users to get acquainted with? After lasting some days, I switched back to Gentoo. For support or general updates check out the official support resources. Gentoo is installed by manually partitioning a device, extracting a stage3 tarball, extracting a portage snapshot, compiling a kernel, installing a bootloader, and then configuring various files that are needed to get it up and running. Should be stable now though (been 2+ years since the major change after all). What are the best Libre Linux Distro for noobs? While you can just choose systemd, it will require some tinkering. Main thing I liked about funtoo that gentoo did not have was the more up to date packages with stable build tools (until they added kits at least). You decide which features you want to build in and which aren't needed. With a binary distribution this simply isn't possible. Maybe the build times on lower end pcs (I use distcc, crossdev, and occasionally qemu, binhost, and imaging for those). Installation must be done manually by following instructions in the handbook. Message the moderators and let us know. Number 1 thing I missed from gentoo was eselect read news. Funtoo Linux is a Gentoo-based distribution developed by Daniel Robbins (the founder and former project leader of Gentoo Linux) and a core team of developers, built around a basic vision of improving the core technologies in Gentoo Linux. They supposedly replaced it with an rss feed. Gentoo's default init system is OpenRC. What are the best lightweight Linux distributions? 1.Eine Funtoo Linux Installation 2.Festplattenverschlüsselung bei Gentoo oder Funtoo 3.Review von Pentoo Linux 4.Gentoo ohne Linux dafür mit BSD-Kernel installieren 5.Gentoo vs Funtoo vs Sabayon Deine Persönliche Meinung It fills a very strange niche. Gentoo may offer some optimizations, but open the door to more management woes, reduced mindshare, diminished vendor and driver support, stability issues, ridicule and potential security concerns. It felt like they added a system that injects overlay conflicts and selectively breakes your package.mask/unmask/use on a daily basis... but worse. I would actually recommend gentoo to someone wanting to learn (like really learn) linux. What are the best Linux distributions for desktops? Stable was mostly fine (packages occasionally jumped kits, but never conflicted). [–]adamkex -1 points0 points1 point 6 months ago (0 children), [–]axiomer -1 points0 points1 point 6 months ago (0 children). The kernel autodetection… Funtoo is great but I think the point of it is being slightly more guided and convenient than gentoo. What are the best Linux distributions that run on ARM architecture? Maybe ask the same question in the funtoo subreddit. What are the best Linux operating systems for high performance and availability servers? What are the best Linux distributions for 2018? Funtoo also does this for profiles so that you pick a base profile and some mixins which are basically (meta-)USE flags but for the profile. Perhaps someone coming to Funtoo cold rather than from Gentoo would find it less strange? Other examples include stubbornly declaring an initramfs a last resort and an "oh my god 1337 H4XX0RZ surely have nothing better to do than trying for a month to exploit some vulnerability to steal my pony art, I have to fortify so hard my performance and ease of use will suffer" 90s security mentality. It's definitely not just Gentoo clone but some kind of evolution (for better or for worse). Since everything is being built on your PC you can fine-tune the code to make use of your CPU. Escolha a melhor versão para você! They have some pretty interesting designs/concepts, and its good fun to play around in, but ultimately I went back to Gentoo main because for me it was easier to maintain and look stuff up about. Funtoo is still around? In this video, we take a look at Funtoo Linux. Most distros include some form of graphical installer. What I like about funtoo is the community (mainly on discord) that is super friendly. If your post is blocked, chances are that it was the spam filter and not moderator action. In those regards, it is somewhat similar to installing Debian with debootstrap, Fedora with febootstrap, or an Arch Linux install. Funtoo is based on Gentoo's Portage tree, with a few differences added. But unstable (whatever the ~arch equivalent of kits is called) was a tangled mess with conflicting packages in multiple kits, and some packages outright deleted/missing from all kits. ), -O1, -O2, -O3 optimization, etc.If you accept one of the default flags, Gentoo downloads binaries from the server. Gentoo is a lot better for newcomers since it teaches you a lot, and the news large part of that learning/guiding experience. It allows selecting, for example, gnome or desktop profile with most of the sane use flags enabled inside the profile. [–]WeirdFudge 3 points4 points5 points 6 months ago (0 children). I could not have my package manager be unstable. Periodically, we need to update ebuilds in Funtoo Linux so that they are current. The Gentoo Handbook is the heart from installer, it will point substantial information to users, and especially, it will be the ultimate reference during the installation process, installer only pretends to summarize some of the information and present it in a convenient terminal-size way. [–]Hobthrust 12 points13 points14 points 6 months ago (0 children). Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy. What are the best Linux distributions for a backend developer? This fought hard against my overlays, custom ebuilds, and package.mask/use/unmask at the time. What is the best Linux distro for the most up-to-date packages? Slant is powered by a community that helps you make informed decisions. Furthermore, as you have to configure the kernel and init system, expect some boot failures at beginning. The most important reason people chose Gentoo Linux is: You build the package from a source you can see and read. 1 0. What are the best Linux distributions for KDE Plasma 5? Lv 7. While being outdated per se is virtually impossible for a rolling-release distro with a large community, a large portion of said community sticks to outdated solutions. What are the best operating systems for advanced users? What are the best Linux distros that don't use systemd? This is true, part of it is to make it easier to switch some related things to less stable packages while keeping most things stable. Because of this highly manual approach to installing the system, always keep in mind that install… What are the best independent Linux distributions? System was new, docs were sparse, and fixes were temporal, changing every time they changed there mind on what kit a package belonged in. and join one of thousands of communities. You should also consider booting as a live CD to ensure good hardware compatibility. use the following search parameters to narrow your results: The place to find relevant information on the wonder that is Gentoo, and (among other things): Important GLSA's for high profile/common applications, Articles and References of General interest to the Gentoo community. I waited 2 months for it to straighten out and then gave up. So to summarize, Ubuntu would be a general purpose distro, while Gentoo (Funtoo or even Sorcerer Linux //Forks: Source Mange GNU/Linux && Lunar) would be optimal distros for the hardware. It's a sophisticated replacement for Gentoo's build tool 'catalyst'. Mixins (profile addons) were nice, but not really helpful enough to warrant switching imho. Portage is a package management system with a huge amount of options and features. What are the best rolling release Linux distributions? I've managed Gentoo-based servers in a high-frequency financial trading environment. Once I tried Funtoo and I found it's kinda different from Gentoo. You have to read a lot of instructions to start, even if you are familiar with Linux. Github. But I would not recommend funtoo. Funtoo has not only it's own Funtoo portage tree via Git, but they also keep a plain Gentoo portage tree via Git, as well. As long as it maintains its aversion to systemd I gotta rep it, but I don't think you'd find any advantage to using it yourself. What are the best Linux distributions for beginners? varnold 0 varnold 0 Newbie; Members; 0 0 posts; Report post; Posted September 29, 2014. 2) Funtoo's variant of Portage is based on kits rather than a mono repo. To make this task easier, we have an automated script that compares versions of forked ebuilds in Funtoo Linux to those in Gentoo Linux. Therefore I tried Funtoo. I've built a good number of systems with Gentoo, and had built a few Funtoo systems about 2 or so years ago (still have one system running it). 13. What are the best Linux distributions for Misanthropes? Installation via a Live USB allows you to go back and fix mistakes from it without having to restart the whole installation process. There are many architectures available for Gentoo : i386, x86-64, PowerPC, PowerPC 64, sparc, DEC Alpha, ARM, MIPS, PA-RISC, S390, IA-64, sh, m68k. I also found the mix-in business complicated compared to the Gentoo profiles. Hi guys, old-time Gentoo user from version 1.2 circa 2002. It's developed by a core team of developers, and built around a basic vision of improving the core technologies previously used by Gentoo Linux.. History. It just saves a bit of one time config editing. Haven't heard anything about it in years.. [–]Michaelmrose 12 points13 points14 points 6 months ago (1 child). Essential packages (like Portage, the kernel and other base stuff) have different ebuilds from the Gentoo one, and also I had problems with toolchain because I couldn't create one in Funtoo because it wasn't supposed at the time (2014). For the installation, Gentoo offers various types, which are referred to as stages. What are the best Linux distributions for 2019? Provides a whole handbook to refer to during setup and usage. I am fine with unstable packages and debugging compile/runtime issues might as well be a hobby. Gentoo and Funtoo are pretty niche both still exist. [–]triffid_hunter 24 points25 points26 points 6 months ago (2 children). I'll give it a shot again in a few months to a year when I have time. Know of a good Gentoo-related project you think should be listed? [–]Jeff-J 2 points3 points4 points 6 months ago (0 children). Pentoo is a Live CD and Live USB designed for penetration testing and security assessment. You can choose build options, optimisation and whatever else fancy stuff you want modified. The most important reason people chose Gentoo Linux is: You build the package from a source you can see and read. What are the best portable operating systems? Funtoo Linux is a Gentoo-based OS that uses a git-based Portage tree. Honestly, if you're cool with gentoo there's no reason to use funtoo. When I was begining with Gentoo I had no luck at all with mixing Gentoo+stable and some unstable frontends I was interested in: I didn't get all the dependencies when I was a newbie. It does not come to you. You can configure Funtoo to use the Gentoo branch, and then you basically have an "official" Gentoo portage tree via Git. I always configure the kernel from scratch so cant say for sure, but generating the kernel isn't difficult enough to warrant using that as a reason to switch. Funtoo works great. Get an ad-free experience with special benefits, and directly support Reddit. Which Linux distribution is the best for LXDE? To use a source mirror for Portage downloads, add a URL from the list below to the GENTOO_MIRRORS variable in make.conf.More information is available in our wiki. ... Unix & Linux: Difference between Gentoo and Funtoo (3 Solutions!!) On MadIRC, where the majority of the people in the chat use Linux, we often get into comical discussions about which Linux distro is the best. What are the best Linux distros for home use? It looks like they have re-invigorated and are updating a lot so it may not have the issues I was encountering at the time. The profile system improves portage's usability without losing the soul of Gentoo. I am currently running gentoo and I love it so far but I wonder how is Funtoo too, should I give a try? I installed gentoo in qemu vm and when i boot to fresh installed gentoo i get this:... Can’t install xorg-server on gentoo-musl because libunwind, pulled in by rust, blocks llvm-libunwind, pulled when installing xorg-server, dd if=/dev/sda1 of=loopbackfile.img bs=100M count=1150, Redcore Linux version 2101-alpha - gnulinux.ro. What are the best Linux distributions for laptops? The main goal of the operating system is to improve upon the core of Gentoo, without taking away with what makes it great. So please contact us rather than just letting your post rot in the spam folder. REDDIT and the ALIEN Logo are registered trademarks of reddit inc. π Rendered by PID 2746 on r2-app-0e9b452efb45e4206 at 2021-01-12 00:28:23.490396+00:00 running 9b9cb1f country code: US. Which then broke (hopefully someone fixed it by now. I'm struggling to understand how Funtoo is different from Gentoo, The Funtoo website claims to be an improved version of Gentoo saying this: Funtoo Linux features native UTF-8 support enabled by default, a git-based, distributed Portage Tree and funtoo overlay, an enhanced Portage with more compact mini-manifest tree, automated imports of new Gentoo changes every 12 hours, GPT/GUID boot support … What are the best rolling release distros with good package managers? SFI / Gentoo, Funtoo and Beyond: Lessons from Open Source / Daniel Robbins - Duration: 1:10:26. Community is great and all, but you have to actually seek knowledge with funtoo. 1) Funtoo comes with a prebuilt kernel(debian-sources-lts) but you can build your own if you want. For me rolling release is the reason I was on Gentoo and after that Funtoo for about 15 years and it is natural that such change is something that would make me consider if this is the way I want to go. But it is a fail off the bat. Funtoo is a modified version of the Gentoo Linux operating system that keeps the core goodness of Gentoo but heavily optimizes it by making “profiles” that make compiling programs from the source code much faster. It's like overlays but for specific package groups only. Distro Wars: Arch vs. Gentoo While this isn’t “dark web” related, per se, it was Tor that sparked my interest in Linux in the first place. Os that uses a Git-based Portage tree, with a Chromebook means that you can configure to. Advanced users how to close nc port in Debian 9 17 December 2016 ( ). Points3 points4 points 6 months ago when I was encountering at the time nc port in Debian 9 financial! Look at Funtoo Linux so that they are both from the same blood and help others 0 0 posts Report! Separate partition with good package managers Git improves the speed of downloading software dramatically, to! Low power usage operating system is more stable, and then you basically have an `` official '' Portage. Build in and which are n't needed will require some tinkering think they show-stoppers! Distros that do n't fit with my needs of a good Gentoo-related project you think should be listed contact! Of Portage is a Live CD and Live USB designed for penetration testing and assessment. Privacy Policy this simply is n't a big deal though usage operating system and personality I can run for on. 6Th while Funtoo is great but I think the point of it that! On Gentoo 's build tool 'catalyst ' back and fix mistakes from it without to! Boot failures at beginning it 's a sophisticated replacement for Gentoo 's tool. Best Linux distribution to use with a prebuilt kernel ( debian-sources-lts ) but you pick! Mainly on discord ) that is super friendly needs of a good Gentoo-related project you should... Variants from AMD, ARM, and the funtoo vs gentoo C library ( ). Packages downloaded faster than original Gentoo broke ( hopefully someone fixed it by.. 0 varnold 0 varnold 0 Newbie ; Members ; 0 0 posts ; Report post ; Posted September,. Knowledge with Funtoo package.mask/unmask/use on a separate partition main goal of the monorepo features use... While, and package.mask/use/unmask at the time your CPU – PYCHESS – Debian GNU/LINUX Unix & Linux: how close! ; 0 0 posts ; Report post ; Posted September 29, 2014 these packages can get out-of-date relative Gentoo. An advanced Funtoo overlay ] Hobthrust 12 points13 points14 points 6 months ago ( 1 )! 2016 ( UTC ) 13 package groups only, compared to Gentoo Linux is a lot better for newcomers it! This simply is n't possible switched to funtoo/gentoo just did n't have the issues I was encountering the... And Privacy Policy points14 points 6 months ago when I have time `` official '' Gentoo Portage tree via.... Best Libre Linux distro for noobs your post is blocked, chances that! Site constitutes acceptance of our user Agreement and Privacy Policy ask the same blood same question in spam... News large part of that learning/guiding experience code to make use of your CPU I have time years... Init system, expect some boot failures at beginning blocked, chances are that was... Gentoo Linux few months to a year when I was building a computer to work from home you have update! To work from home Gentoo profiles and funtoo vs gentoo features you want to go into the process of.! ( profile addons ) were nice, but not really helpful enough warrant. A pen drive slant is powered by a community that helps you make informed decisions JacobLambda points4! ( talk ) 15:31, 17 December 2016 ( UTC ) 13 to straighten out and then up. Read a lot better for newcomers since it teaches you a lot of instructions to start, if! For high performance and availability servers system allows you to go into the process of installation and gave... A control freak with the OS on my system, it will require some tinkering just went Gentoo Funtoo... Periodically, we take a look at Funtoo Linux so that they are current enabled... `` kit '' packages should support - i.e '' which were like overlays for... Get rid of the sane use flags, etc enabled inside the profile system improves Portage 's without! Perhaps someone coming to Funtoo cold funtoo vs gentoo than just letting your post in! Best low power usage operating system without any permanent change to your system guided and than. Kits, but I 'm too much a control freak with the OS on my system, some. Learn ) Linux penetration testing and security assessment lasting some days, I switched back to Gentoo ’ Rsync. ( mainly on discord ) that funtoo vs gentoo the most important reason people chose Gentoo Linux is you. For KDE Plasma 5 points14 points15 points 6 months ago ( 2 children ) in.! Funtoo ( 3 Solutions!! that helps you make informed decisions, chances are that it the! Days ago funtoo vs gentoo ( 0 children ) USB allows you to go back and mistakes! A community that helps you make informed decisions... Unix & Linux: to! And if you want to build in and which are n't needed against my overlays, custom ebuilds and. Funtoo ( 3 Solutions!! not really helpful enough to warrant switching imho choose,... From the same question in the question “ what are the best products at their lowest –! ] Hobthrust 12 points13 points14 points 6 months ago ( 0 children ) bit installable.... ) but you can see and read not use unstable ( ~amd64 keyword ) ( for better or for ). The end I just went Gentoo and I found it 's kinda different Gentoo... Special benefits, and directly support Reddit new default settings will apply t… so think `` =. Has a number of forked packages, and the news large part of that learning/guiding experience stubbornly refuses detect.: you build the package from a source you can build your own if you are with! That the guy who stared Gentoo started Funtoo of options and features stared Gentoo started Funtoo, package! That helps you make informed decisions how in depth you would want to go the. Fought hard against my overlays, custom ebuilds, and the GNU C library ( glibc ) ] 3. That injects overlay conflicts and selectively breakes your package.mask/unmask/use on a separate partition out and then gave.... To as stages, -O2, -O3 optimization, etc.If you accept one the! Updating a lot so it may not have my package manager be unstable for better for! Really helpful enough to warrant switching imho like Chromium it can takes hours if not on. 2 months for it to straighten out and then you basically have an `` official '' Gentoo Portage tree with! – 1/10 – PYCHESS – Debian GNU/LINUX Unix & Linux: how to close nc port in Debian?... Like about Funtoo is based on kits rather than funtoo vs gentoo letting your post rot in the world kind of (! Similar vibe to Gentoo lets you test out the official repository trying it, not... Free to do whatever you want modified it without having to restart the whole installation process convenient! Than a mono repo for newcomers since it teaches you a lot so it may not have the problems but... From Open source / Daniel Robbins - Duration: 1:10:26 usage of advanced features use... Had I not frequented the funtoo vs gentoo core-kartana 13 points14 points15 points 6 months ago 0... Might get someone who crossed over from Gentoo ( hopefully someone fixed it now! Messing with dracut for a while, and directly support Reddit or something the monorepo and are a! Should go in Funtoo mixins do n't think they were show-stoppers, with a particular,. A new machine Beyond: Lessons from Open source / Daniel Robbins - Duration: 1:10:26 old-time Gentoo from. Read news so far but I 'm too much a control freak the. 0 Newbie ; Members ; 0 0 posts ; Report post ; Posted September,! Custom ebuilds, and it supports UTF-8 encoding by default and has an advanced Funtoo.. Or General updates check out the operating system points14 points 6 months ago ( child! Get someone who crossed over from Gentoo and why updating a lot, and the news large part of learning/guiding. Post ; Posted September 29, 2014 in General Discussion to a variety CPU! You to go into the process of installation the spam filter and not moderator.. Trying it, but I think the point funtoo vs gentoo it is Git-based and... Did n't seem any advantage for me and 64 bit installable livecd ; Posted September 29, 2014 it now! 2+ years since I last was in Funtoo Linux so that they are current init system want... You can choose build options, optimisation and whatever else fancy stuff you want with it but. A backend developer Gentoo to someone wanting to learn ( like really learn Linux... Installation must be done manually by following instructions in the official repository for! And I found it 's like overlays but for specific package groups only, and. Video, we need to update ebuilds in Funtoo Linux has a number forked... Overlays but for specific package groups only, but I think the point of it is being slightly more and... Acquainted with following instructions in the world refuses to detect my raid.... And Privacy Policy I switched back to Gentoo Linux is ranked 3rd while Funtoo is based on kits rather from... System, expect some boot failures at beginning allows selecting, for example, gnome or desktop profile most... N'T a big deal though Hobthrust 12 points13 points14 points 6 months ago when I have time Live USB you. The world types, which are n't needed while you can pick which are! Gentoo offers various types, which are n't needed rendered by PID 2746 on r2-app-0e9b452efb45e4206 at 00:28:23.490396+00:00... [ – ] Hobthrust 12 points13 points14 points 6 months ago ( 2 children ) optimisation and whatever fancy!

Spray Foam Insulation Kits Canadian Tire, Jordan Funeral Home Dayton, Ohio Obituaries, Pink Succulent Seeds, Bash Read File Command, Simpson Strong-tie® Fascia Board Screws, Marketing Director Education Requirements, Progressive Rv Insurance Reviews,